Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Review: Everything Everywhere All At Once – an exhilarating masterpiece

Have you ever laughed so hard  you started convulsing and shouting?

That is Everything Everywhere All At Once

I shrieked in laughter and convulsion, wept and sniffed in the deep poignancy of the denouement, and gasping in despair and shock. And I don't mean the dignified type of laughing  I mean the misshapen monstrous type of laughing!

This movie is an exhilarating rollercoaster. It plunges the viewer across the gamut of emotion - guffawing at the absurd and teary at the beautiful and profound. 

I left the movie theatre glowing and beaming with joy and convinced it was one of my favourite films of all time. This film has reminded me what movies can do  make us feel like children again.

Let me explain something. I am the worst type of viewer  sceptical, incredulous, impassive. I cannot watch a movie without quietly raising an eyebrow as I picking holes in the plot, or roll eyes at soporific dialogue, or grunt at CGI-overreliance etc... But I was spellbound and transported away by its originality, chaotic filmmaking and deeply-moving elements of the modern human condition. The film is immersive and its underlying subject really hit home. Michelle Yeoh was marvellous.

Please go and watch it on the the big screen while you still can. 

I feel bad for people who don't get to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment