Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Review: “The Pale Blue Eye” — really enjoyed it

“The Pale Blue Eye” is a murder thriller/horror set in the early 1800s released by Netflix last year.

I really enjoyed it.

Directed by Scott Cooper & cast include Christian Bale, Timothy Spall, Harry Melling, and Gillian Anderson. It is a detective story with Bale as Detective Landor and Melling as Edgar Allan Poe. They team up to solve a series of grisly killings in this period gothic “drama”.

The film is great at creating an oppressive & chilling atmosphere. I really enjoyed the interaction and chemistry between the duo Detective Landor and Poe. Their partnership is the facsimile of the Holmes/Watson duo. 

Exquisite photography and a disquieting Howard Shore score accompanies this film throughout.

However, where the film lacks is an ordinate amount of time is devoted to unearthing the mysterious Marquis family. It has the effect of separating the detective duo. Harry Melling’s Poe falls in love and aches for a fellow cadet’s terminally sick sister; while Bale strays around aimlessly. For me, these meanders feel like we’re treading water as opposed to developing the plot.

The ritualistic “occult” scenes in the basement felt a little cliche, as if it were rushed. This, I think, was a lost opportunity to bring some horror.

The great “reveal” is great and Christian Bale gives an emotional final act.

All-in-all, I enjoyed the film all the way through. It isn’t a masterpiece but it’s good fun.

Rating: 4/5 ★★★★

11 comments:

  1. I will seek that out and let you know what I think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, thank you.
    Found it on Netflix, have bookmarked it to watch! I don't usually watch many movies I'm more into Series for some reason, short ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review. I will seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had the book by Louis Bayard on my to read someday book list, but may watch the movie first based on your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very good cast.
    Thanks for the review.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in the midst of watching the movie! Will read this piece after I finish it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete