Sunday, August 18, 2024

Vanessa Bell - Studland Beach (1912)

Took this some time ago at the Tate.

A deep painting — it feels dramatic and emphatic ... even to us today.

But, I do get some unpleasant feeling of exclusion. Perhaps anomie? Ostracism or prohibition?

It is leavened by the warmth of the sand and the cute summer straw-hats, and a general feeling that this is a family by the beach with their mother.

Things of note:

  • I didn’t recognise - until a bit later - that the 2 figures at the fore were topless/naked.
  • Everyone has their backs to the viewer. Which feels v. uncomfortable.
  • I came to notice the visual & emotional impact of deliberate space across a canvas through Degas’s paintings. The canvas is practically devoid of life. No characters seem to touch or interact with one another.
  • Is that the sea or sky?
  • I think this is a painting about mothers and daughters?
  • The white tent (?) feels disjointed because of the departure from orderly recession and a sense of perspective.

The empty space reminds me of Paul Gauguin’s “Vision of the Sermon” (which I have written about).

1 comment: