Thursday, July 20, 2023

La Traviata at the Royal Opera House

Went to see La Traviata on Monday evening with my darling at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden

I think I had seen Richard Eyre’s production last year. Not sure. But, in recent months, I've been binging on YouTube's version with Netrebko, Hampson and Villazon. 

Now, days later, I'm still humming the opening score, it's just so wonderful and heavenly. We were sat at the balcony lower slips just over the orchestra which was a perfect location to save money and also enjoy the music roaring beneath us. My favourite aria is "dite alla giovine" (and I've been listening to Hampson's rendition the past few weeks); so I was able to close my eyes and really feel transported.

The performances were quite memorable and stirring. Kristina Mkhitaryan was very moving with the emotional and physical anguish of Violetta, and her singing was stunning. Liparit Avetisyan as Alfredo was the sensitive soul whose anguish is also quite moving; and I found some of his interaction with Christoph Pohl (as Giorgio) a bit strained. It's hard to 'dislike' your father without infantilising the character at times and the acting can feel a bit contrived. Nevertheless, Christoph gives us some rich-voiced anguish and passion.

In the pit, conductor Keri-Lynn Wilson and the orchestra are excellent and keep the thumping momentum going, although at times, it did feel as though the singers were having to compete with the orchestra where the music was perhaps a bit too powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment