Thursday, August 17, 2023

Sir Michael Parkinson dies (1935–2023)

So poor old Parky has died.

I have such fond memories of my mum watching him. He was a regular Saturday night viewing for the family.

I recently watched a Mel Gibson film; and went to watch one of his interviews. Then, I stumbled across his Parkinson interview only a few days ago; and I really enjoyed it. It was just so absorbing and engaging. Old school class. 

That's before British chat shows had veered towards being comedy routines. Parkinson would be entertaining without the scripted 'story time' routine of Graham Norton (invariably with his own jokes). Graham Norton's entire formula is "so please tell us about the time ...."  or  "... what's this funny story I heard ...". Michael Parkinson was entertaining with some class and gravitas; and allowing the audience to learning something about the interviewee.

I didn't appreciate it at the time, but television has really declined in my own time.

So, respect to the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment