Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Farewell, University of Cambridge

Last time I wrote a similar post, I left Peckham (in South London) to stay for a few weeks in North London before heading off to Cambridge

Writing this post, I graduated in August 2023 from the University of Cambridge with a Master of Laws (LLM) degree. It was a 9 month course and quite intense. I studied a variety of areas of law ('papers' at Cambridge) which were all private law subjects. My favourites were the Law of Restitution, and Private International law (which in Cambridge-speak is called International Commercial Litigation).

I sometimes still can't quite believe I was actually at Cambridge; and ended up graduating with a first class degree. Writing this post in September, I will be starting the Bar course in London soon.

Looking back now, I wish I had enjoyed my university experience a bit more. I was never quite sure whether I was doing enough work, and I was stressing (especially in term 2) about exam season. I think I was a better student than I gave myself credit so I ended up stressing myself unduly about reading, making notes, going to the library - and, I think, at the expense of a bit more of a social life and enjoyment. Although the Cambridge LLM involves a lot of reading and work, it's not as hard as it's often made out to be.

Otherwise, I had a wonderful time. I had some great teachers and made some wonderful friends. I was very honoured to have been part of the last cohort that Professor Fentiman got to teach before his retirement. The 9 months went by quite v. quickly with too many memories to count.  

Below is a montage of a few things that stick out.

✲✲✲

Graduation Day



Hughes Hall College

Entrance


The Margaret Wileman Building



Hughes Hall library xmas opening hours.

Karen lived here :)

Hughes Hall MCR


My home in Cambridge (as I couldn't get accommodation at my college).


Cherry Hinton Hall Park (my local park which I sometimes visited, I used to like feeding the ducks)


'Tea at the Fitz' with the Trust Scholars

I received a scholarship from the Cambridge Trust in partnership with H. Clark. Thank you both very much.

At the Fitzwilliam Museum

Helen Pennant, the Trust's Director

The Fitz was closed for us !


The Cambridge cinema crew @ The Light. 


Cambridge May Ball (one of the highlights of the whole year(

Before meeting Miss Trunchbull

Silent 5am disco

Post corporate insolvency exam drinks

Got a cab to the MCR bar

Post ICL exam pizza

Finished first exam, anxious. So sweetheart took me for pizza and movie

Miscellaneous at Cambridge

Law school

Our first lecture, LLM induction lecture

Lady Brownlie

Pembroke College

Senate House, Gonville and Caius

Cambridge market



Pembroke College Chapel

Drinks at the Union

Library revision, serious face

Also studying in the library

Such a beautiful street, Trinity Lane

At Queens College

Peterhouse

Cambridge bumps  :)

Showing a dear friend around, sun too bright


Midsummer Common

College formal dinner

January, freezing weather

Queens College

Train St. The Queen passed away just before starting

The stoic Emperor Marcus Aurelius


The Fitzwilliam

Catching the bus

Pathway from Hughes Hall to law school ...

The Pitt Building, on the way to law school ...

Ede & Ravenscroft


At the Cambridge Uni. Botanic Gardens

Botanic gardens, Monet vibes.

Post exam drinks at the Union.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on passing your Master of Law Degree.
    Good luck with the remainder and how time flies when studying, I remember well even though for me it was long, long ago.
    The photos you have shared are lovely to see - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Liam, and well done for getting a First - that is an achievement indeed. It's always so difficult assessing how one is doing, so worrying and stressing are natural. Good luck with the next stage. I was very sad about leaving University and I still think of that time very fondly - I hope you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the achievement. That is truly incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your achievment. Very impressive and onward you go to the next stage. I enjoyed seeing your photos, very nice and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete