Friday, September 29, 2023

Sir Michael John Gambon (1940–2023)

What a sad loss. 

Sir Michael Gambon was a wonderful actor with an amazing career. I will always remember him as the lovely old grandad in Charlotte Gray (a romantic war drama). His character and performance has always stayed with me.

He was excellent in Layer cake; and of course, I have especially enjoyed his turn as Dumbledore (from the Harry Potter films). He has always had a powerful screen presence. 

I've watched a few interviews on YouTube and he strikes me as a lovely man off screen.

So long sir. One of the great postwar actors.

✲✲✲

From today's Telegraph:

7 comments:

  1. He is an actor to remember. You have a typing error on his deceased date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gambon was famous on tv, especially The Singing Detective, Wives and Daughters, Longitude and Perfect Strangers. He was not the most handsome actor on the planet but his talent in presenting characters made rugged good looks irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hels. Might get around to watching those.

      Delete
  3. A great actor who will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my knowledge I don't recall seeing this man. He however, has a good character face. May he RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, a great actor.
    He will be missed.
    May he RIP.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete